Friday, April 27, 2012

I Can't Come up with a Clever Title, so Let's Just Call it Digital Images


A friend asked recently if I have any stamps of biplanes. I do not, but when I Googled "free digital biplane images," several pictures came up that looked like stamped images. So I decided to show you how you can print an image from the internet and use it just like you would use a stamp. You won't believe how easy it is!

I always include the word free in these searches because I don't want to inadvertently use something that's copyrighted and have the papercrafter police come after me. 
When you search for images, they will load on your computer screen and all you have to do to save one is right click on it then click "Save Picture As..." Your computer will ask you where you want to save it. I have a folder on my desktop called "Odds n Ends" that I use when I'm just messing around. It works kind of like the junk drawer by the back door--if I don't know where to put something, I drop it in there. But I have to keep it cleaned out or I have no idea what's in it!  

This is the image I saved to my computer. I printed it on white cardstock, trimmed it to the size I wanted, and inked the edges. If your image doesn't print clearly, just try another. There are millions of them out there! 

I don't normally use so much ink on the edges, but do you see how in the first image (the one from my computer) the white background ends right in front of the propeller? That made a faint shadow when I printed it so I used extra ink to camouflage it. 
I chose a paper that looked like weathered wood for the mat and added another mat of black cardstock under it. The sentiment sits on a piece of black grossgrain ribbon that runs across the bottom.


The sentiment stamp had more words that didn't suit my purpose, so I cut them away. I'll still be able to line up the pieces on the block if I want to use the whole thing later. I typed "soar" on my computer in a similar font, printed it on white cardstock, trimmed it to size, and inked the edges before adhering it to the inside. 


 I wanted a masculine card that would work for graduation. So...does it? 



I liked this image, too. I thought maybe I'd use it as a background and have the phrase "Plan to Succeed" somewhere on it. Is that too corny? 
I have a request for a graduation card with moving parts, so I tried putting a spinning propeller on a different image, but that definitely crossed the corny line. Guess I'll keep working on that one!

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend and I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment