Friday, July 25, 2014

Stand-Up Mini Album


Ok. I said I'd be back with a project, didn't I? It took longer than I expected to get fully inspired, but this is a sneak peek at the finished album. It's 5x7, so it will fit in an envelope for mailing (with a couple extra stamps. Mine turned out quite thick.) If you want to see the whole thing, you'll just have to stick around and read the rest of my post. ;)

I started with a plan and even took a picture of my supplies to share with you here. Then I shifted gears just a bit, so instead of the pic, I'll just give you the list of what I actually used:
  • Two sheets 12x12 heavy pink cardstock for the body of the album
  • Three sheets 12x12 heavy white cardstock for the frames
  • Glitter cardstock (a girl has to have her glitter, right?)
  • Punches for embellishments--I used flowers, a flourish, and a paisley
  • Ribbon and jewels or brads
  • An assortment of dies for cutting frames--I started with circles and squares but decided rectangles and ovals were a better fit. 
From one piece of pink I cut a 7x10 strip and scored it down the middle, so I basically had a 5x7 card. From the other piece of pink I cut a 7x12 strip and scored it at 5 inches and 10 inches, so I had a 5x7 card with a little 2 inch flap. That flap will connect the two pieces later. 


But first....
I folded both pieces and ran them through the Cuttlebug in a paisley pattern embossing folder. I used paper with a white core, so I sanded the embossing a little to make it pop. 


Next I adhered the two pieces together using that two inch flap, so I had a four page accordion album. 
Don't worry about the flap--we will cover it up later. 


Now for the frames. Using a variety of rectangular and oval Nesties, I cut frames for each of the four inside pages and the cover, as well as a solid piece of white (not in the picture) to serve as the back of each frame. I used a Dotted Swiss embossing folder on one of the two matching frames and the thinner oval, and I layered the two ovals together to make one frame. 


I adhered a strip of ribbon across the front--long enough to wrap around and tie a pretty bow. Then I placed all the frames. 





Remember that extra two inch flap on the back? I cut two 5x7 pieces from my strips of leftover cs and
adhered them to the back. Then I added a piece of lined paper, die cut to match the frames, for journaling. 


Now for the embellishments! I cut a 'J' for the front because this is going to a new baby whose name starts with 'J.' Then I punched several flowers, flourishes, and paisleys from the glitter paper and some of the scrap pieces of white. I scattered those among the frames, and this is what I ended up with:


I know it's basically just an accordion album, but with the extra layer on the back, it's stable enough to stand up and use as a table top frame. Now I think I'll try one in landscape orientation. Hmmmmm....


    No, I didn't make a horizontal version already. I was so focused on making this stand up that I didn't even consider hanging it on the wall! How cute is that?!

Ok. That's it for now. Time for me to go work outside. 
Thanks for stopping by! See you in a few days with the August calendar!








No comments:

Post a Comment