Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bridging the Gap in My Own Little Way


This is a six inch mini album I made for my sister-in-law, Amy, to give to a friend who was recently married. I was telling another friend about it and she would like one, too, to send to a pair of newlyweds she knows. It seems like I'm doing a lot of black and white or black and cream for weddings. "Back in The Day" we would never have used black in our wedding colors! Of course we would never have worn a black formal to prom, either. Or anything the least bit low-cut. Or short. Or sequinned. If it wasn't pastel with ruffles, lace, and poufy sleeves it just wasn't prom or wedding-worthy. 
I think the papers and embellishments I used for this album do a fine job of bridging the generation gap. We have pearls, prisms, and filigree on the dangle, with roses and a delicate pearlized doily on the cover. I used some very dilute walnut ink to tone down the "whiteness" of the doily a bit, then I sprayed it with some Smooch Spritz to give it a little sheen.  I wish you could see how pretty it is, but it just doesn't show up well in a picture. The black frame is cut with Nesties Labels 1 and embossed with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder. Until the bride and groom insert their own photo, the frame holds an image stamped with SU! Elements of Style and highlighted with a Gelly Roll Stardust pen. 


Can you make out the scallop stitching around the edges of the pages? Those aren't just for looks. I layer the papers I want for each page and stitch around the edge to hold them together. I leave the top open on some of the pages to create a pocket for tags that hold more photos or journaling. 

The ribbons at the top are tied to the tags. Each tag has a variety of embossing, stamped images, and inked edges. Even without any photos, they are quite interesting!


I think you can see on the picture below where there is a slim little place punched out at the top of each pocket. An oval or circle punch works great for this. (For baby girl books I like to use a scallop circle.)


The last two pages I have to show are a little different. The diagonal pocket worked perfectly with the checked paper...


This pocket was made with a Grand Nestabilities oval, but you could trace and cut around a plate to get the same effect. 


There are a few more pages--twelve in all, but I won't bog down your computer with loading more images.


Remember the Paisley Tables? Doc sold them! For TWICE AS MUCH as he was asking before I painted them!
More updates--my color guard girls are doing great! The first competition is next Saturday. I also need to brag on the football team. The Houn Dawgs are state ranked! WooHoo!One poll has them at #7 and another at #5. Go Dawgs!
I'm putting together the projects for stamp club tomorrow and I'm still not exactly sure what we're doing, so I better get back to it!
Thanks for stopping by! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment