Monday, June 25, 2012

Not Quite Ready For "Junk Gypsies"


I added a new show to my dvr's to-do list. "Junk Gypsies."  It fits right in with "Cash & Cari" and "Rehab Addict." They're all about creative women who do what many of us would love to do: They actually make a living using their creativity and imaginations. "Junk Gypsies" and "Cash & Cari" are both on HGTV and "Rehab Addict" is on DIY.
In a nutshell, Cari Cucksey runs estate sales. Every now and then she finds a "treasure" that she refurbishes or completely re-works to put in her shop.
The Gypsies are sisters Amie and Jolie Sikes, who design rooms using flea market finds, other peoples' junk, and a whole lot of whimsy.
Nicole Curtis (from "Rehab Addict") buys old homes that need lots of tlc. L.O.T.S. of tlc. She "rehabs" them and (hopefully) sells them. She shops architectural salvage, dives into dumpsters, and picks up curb-side cast-offs to find the pieces that would have been in the house when it was built. The houses are beautiful when she gets done with them. She lives and works in the Minneapolis area and I'm just waiting for the house my father-in-law grew up in to show up as one of her projects!

You may be asking, "What does all this rambling have to do with a cup floating in a swimming pool?" Well, my other favorite part of my house (besides the front porch) is the pool that we put in nine years ago. Sunday afternoon Andy and I were doing our laps (Before you get the wrong idea--they're not THAT kind of laps! The current from the jets carries us around the pool on our inflatable rafts. Usually about one lap every four or five minutes. Watch out, Michael Phelps!) So, anyway...I said that I needed to come up with some way to float my cup so I wouldn't have to hold onto it. That is deceivingly strenuous! I mean, what if it tips over and spills? And I can't leave it on the side of the pool, where I would only pass it every four or five minutes. I might need a drink at three minutes! Before long Andy got out of the pool and returned with a piece of foam insulation (JUNK) with a hole in the middle. Voila! But of course, I cannot leave well enough alone, so I had to make it cute. Finally!

The first version took waaaaay too long, but it is pretty cute. I got out some SU! background stamps and stamped a blue paisley pattern on some muslin scraps and red polka dots on some others using StazOn. I tore the muslin into strips about 3/4 inch wide and wrapped them around the foam, tying knots around the outside edge and leaving the ends to fray. I was watching "Junk Gypsies" while tearing and tying and the finished floaty would have fit right in with anything they do!


That would make a really cute picture frame. And you could always use ribbon to cut out a few steps....

I decided to go back to the drawing board and simplify. Crazy, right?! That's when I realized I could just stamp the designs directly on the foam. The cut edge was still pretty rough and ugly, so I hot glued some ribbon around the edge. Don't touch the tip of the glue gun to the foam. They don't play well together.


I also learned that a circle doesn't work. The whole thing rolls right over. 
It took a little trial and error to get everything just right, but now, when we are doing our laps, we can have our drinks close at hand. 
Life is good. But please don't tell me if I could have bought a ten-pack of these for two dollars at Dollar General. Ignorance is bliss.
Thanks for stopping by! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment