Saturday, October 27, 2012

"Pa-Rum-Pa-Pum-Pum"


They say everyone marches to the beat of their own drum. If that is indeed the case, ^this is my kind of drum! It's a drum, it's a lamp, it's a coffee table! It can't decide on just one thing to be, so it's all three. Sounds like a perfect metaphor for my personality. lol 
We had this old bass drum for the kids to play with when I taught preschool at Honeytree. When we decided it was time to close our doors, of course the drum had to come home with me. I knew that someday I would be inspired to do something really cool with it. So for almost five years, it has collected dust and spiders in my garage. When I pulled it out, it looked like this:


I don't know when or where it lost its other head, but I only needed one to make our table. I cut a circle from a piece of plywood and secured it inside the top edge with a few screws.


I used some scrap 2x2's to mount four wood fence post toppers inside the bottom. I'm skipping over that part because it was kind of complicated and I don't have pics to help with the explanation. If you reeeeally want to know how I did it, leave a comment asking about it and I'll get back to you. I attached a light socket to the 2x2's and painted everything black. Once the paint dried I put the head back on and plugged it in. 


In Aurora, band doesn't begin until sixth grade, but my son Michael has been a percussionist at heart since he started going to early morning practice and spending time around marching band kids with me when he was three years old. He now shares a townhouse with two classmates who were in the drumline with him. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect home for this!  


I have a whole TOWER of drums in my garage now,
just waiting to be made into something cool. I see 
another coffee table, an end table, and maybe even 
a couple of hanging lights! Of course I'll let you know 
how they turn out.

One more band-related item....
It's time for the Aurora Bands' annual Halloween Carnival and Chili Supper. The bands have hosted these festivities since the 1920's! Mom and I have cooked the chili and some scrumptious beef barley soup for the past 7 or 8 years, but this year I passed the ladle on to those who still have children in band. Since I didn't have to do all that shopping, chopping, and stirring, I painted a sign! One of the boys brought me a four foot by eight foot sheet of plywood. That's a BIG sign!


Now I'm ready for my chili!

Thanks for stopping by! See you next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment