Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Embossing with Legos!

So...I've been trying to get this blog going for a while. Between figuring out the basics, having the computer crash, and just getting up my nerve to take the leap, I've managed to kill about three weeks! Here goes....



My friend Jauna was looking for Lego themed invitations for her son's upcoming birthday party. I thought for about three seconds before saying, "We can do that!" Then I had to come up with the "how." At first I thought I'd emboss the front with a polka dot embossing folder, but then I decided to try using actual Legos to get a more authentic look.



I used Notepad Sizzlits because they're so nice and chunky. Letters that are too thin wouldn't show off the embossing. I used the colors that I associate with Legos--red, yellow, blue, and green. I dug through the giant Lego tub (I can't part with them, even though my boys are 19 and 22!) and found some of the flat pieces. I had to put two layers together to make a piece big enough. I have a Cuttlebug, so I got all the different cutting pads and mats that I could find, as well as a few pieces of chipboard in a variety of thicknesses. I knew I would have to experiment a little to get the sandwich just right.



After cutting out all the letters I adhered them to a piece of green cardstock 4 inches by 5 1/4 inches. Then I began to try different combinations of cutting plates, mats, and shims on some scrap cardstock. The one that worked for me was C plate on the bottom, B plate, Legos, card front, silicone embossing pad (tan colored, thin, and floppy), a black pad (I think it might be called a crease pad--it's thicker and more rigid than the embossing pad), one thin piece of chipboard, and another B plate on top. It probably took me 20 minutes to get the right look. Too thick, the paper tears. Too thin, you lose the effect. Just be patient. Once I had the sandwich right, Joseph was able to help me crank the fronts through the Cuttlebug.



I made these invitations while my computer was in the shop, so I used my iPad to make the insides. Jauna sent a photo, but she didn't like the way the front of Joseph's shirt looked, so I used an app appropriately named Captions to add in the word caption and cover it. 
I also used Snapseed to lighten the shadows around his eyes a little, and Crop n Frame to add in the red, yellow, and blue frame. 
Then I used my very favorite app EVER, Coolibah (digital scrapbooking), for the bottom. I was able to choose a background paper, type in all the details, and even add in the zigzag stitch. Even if you have no desire to do digi scrapping, if you have an iPod, iPhone, or iPad with photos on it, try Coolibah. It's easy and fun! And a little addictive.
All of that would have been easier on my computer, but the challenge of finding a way around the computer problem was kind of fun. I guess I feel like I outsmarted it! lol

From there it's easy.... I printed the insides on heavy white cardstock, scored and folded it to make a 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 inch card, and adhered the embossed piece to the front. Here it is again--


So how did I do? Were my instructions clear enough? I'd love to hear what you think, but please don't be too harsh with the newbie! Thanks for stopping by!



3 comments:

  1. Lovely and creative card. You are brave to try the legos in your cuttlebug. I am glad it worked out well for you..I am chicken.. Great blog. The cards stand out great and it is easy to read and follow along..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They where a hit! Several people talked about the invitations at the party. Can't wait to see what you come up with for Joshelles candy themed party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    Thanks so much for using Crop'n'Frame in your original card, and for mentioning it in your blog post. I'm the app developer, and also a scrapbooking Mom. I've always believed that Crop'n'Frame is a great tool for scrapbooking and card making, but I haven't seen many references online to people making use of it that way, so it's great to see here. If you have any suggestions for new features that would be helpful in your projects, I'd love to hear about them. You might also want to check out my ConfettiArt apps which can be used to make fun backgrounds and/or to decorate photos.

    Thanks again for the mention, congratulations on your published page, and good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete