Sunday, October 19, 2014

Not Exactly a Christmas Card

Has anyone else been thinking about Christmas cards? I believe I have decided on a design for mine this year. This card is a non-Christmas version of what I hope to do. 


    Among my digital Christmas images from Crafty Secrets is a vintage Santa that I really want to use on the front of my Christmas cards, but since it seems a little early to post Christmas stuff, I decided to try out my design using an image from a Crafty Secrets pre-printed cardstock sheet of vintage photos. (Yes, they have "hard copies" of some of their images, too! They are moving to digital only, so most of the printed items they have left are marked down. A lot! Go check out their Linky party at the Heartwarming Vintage Blog to see if anyone else is thinking about Christmas cards!)
I kept it pretty simple--I don't want anything too complicated since I will need to make so many. 

    
First I cut a brown mat with a deckle rectangle Nestie and adhered the vintage photo. Then I embossed some pearlized paper with these beautiful autumn leaves. 

   

I had planned to put some sort of Thanksgiving sentiment on the card, but then I came across "happy together" from the SU! set A Dozen Thoughts. Perfect! All that's left is wrapping some ribbon and twine around the leaf-embossed paper and layering everything on top of a card. I used Cajun Craze for the card. I know that's not a very Christmas-y color combination, but the dark brown, brick red, and cream looks nice with the Santa image and this photo. 


See?! Nice and easy! So.... What kind of card are you planning for the holidays?

Thanks for stopping by! See you next time!

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully done and a wonderful layout, I am sure it will be fantastic for your Christmas cards!! Thank you for joining us at our "Crafty Secrets October linky party"...hope to see you there next month, too!
    Diane CS DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I haven't been able to "play" much lately, but hopefully I'm back for a while now!

      Delete
  2. What a great layout for Christmas cards! Thanks for joining the Linky Party at Crafty Secrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! I can't wait to get the kitchen goodies! See you next month :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea Michele! I'd have to say Crafty Secrets Vintage Santa is my all time favorite image and I just might have to do the same thing for my holiday cards this year! Thanks so much for playing along in our October Linky Party at Crafty Secrets! Good Luck!!

    Darlene
    Crafty Secrets DT
    CRAFTY VINTAGE GIRL
    CRAFTY SECRETS LINKY PARTY
    DAR'S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh...that embossed background is beautiful and is the perfect backdrop for your vintage image. This is a great design for Christmas cards, as you could put them together quickly but they wouldn't look that way! I love our vintage photo scraps, too! Thanks for sharing with us at the Crafty Secrets October Linky party!

    ReplyDelete